java
Java-Monitor Forum > Java Application Server Administration > Tomcat Administration » webapp won't deploy listening on port 8080

Old 30-03-2012, 16:24

Default webapp won't deploy listening on port 8080

Hello. This has been a helpful thread indeed. But I have a follow-up.

My problem is that I am trying to install a Java webapp instance which uses localhost:8080 to be viewed. But it wont install (coz java.net.BindException: Address already in use:8080). I checked to see what process is using 8080 (netstat -anp | grep 8080). A jsvc.exec process listening to my 8080 port. Upon checking (ps -fp) I find out that this is Tomcat.

So I killed the process, and yeah, the Webapp installed completely. But when I navigate browser to localhost:8080 it says the service is not running - coz I killed Tomcat! So I restart Tomcat, and now the webapp instance won't complete.

Can you tell me what I should do? I am running Tomcat 5.5 in a LAMP environment.

Thanks!
Old 30-03-2012, 20:12
Forum Operator

Dear ahart,

Sounds like you have two tomcat servers installed, could that be?

Kees Jan
Old 30-03-2012, 20:29

Nope. Just one. I tried a trick> I changed the Connector element from 8080 to 8081 (/conf/server.xml) and that did not resolve the issue either.
Old 30-03-2012, 21:02
Forum Operator

Dear ahart,

In that case, you need to resolve any errors you see in the logs. Why does the web app not deploy the second time? What precise stack trace do you see?

Kees Jan
Old 30-03-2012, 21:04
Administrator

New threads for new problems, please.
Old 30-03-2012, 23:34

I am able to control the result of the web app build. If another process (like Tomcat) is tethered to 8080 port, then the Webapp will not build. If I kill whatever is tethered to 8080 port (or reassign it to 8081), then the webapp does build successfully. IOW, webapp will only build if 8080 is open. OK, so that resolves the build. Now, what about Tomcat? I need Tomcat to run in order for the webapp service to be up. So now that I have reassigned Tomcat to 8081, it is up and running. And accoording to the message at the completion of the webapp build instance, the web app is up too (see below).

However, when I navigate my browser to localhost:8080, it gives me this error:

HTTP ERROR: 503.
Problem accessing /. Reason:
Service Unavailable